Planning Permission & Garden Buildings
We are very experienced regarding planning permission for garden buildings, so do call if you would like to chat through your ideas.
Many kinds of garden buildings and structures can be built in your garden or on the land around your house without the need to apply for planning permission. These can include sheds, garages, summerhouses, log cabins etc. For a fixed fee, we will carry out your planning permission for you or will offer advice if you would rather handle this yourself.
Current garden buildings planning guidelines are as follows:
- Buildings or structures that are positioned within 2 metres of your boundary (in England) must not exceed 2.5m in height. We can design your garden office, summerhouse or log cabin to be under 2.5m in height to keep the planners happy!
- Buildings or structures that are positioned more than 2 metres from your boundary must not exceed 3 metres in height, or more than 4 metres high with a ridged roof. (Most of our buildings are under 4 metres in height).
- Garden buildings are not permitted development forward of the principal elevation of your house. This means the house as it was originally built or as it stood on 1 July 1948.
- Outbuildings must not cover more than half the area of land around the "original house".
- You must apply for planning if your building or structure is to be used for running a business or storing commercial goods.
- You must apply for planning for separate self-contained living accommodation and for microwave antennas.
- You must apply for planning permission if your house is listed, you live within a conservation area, a national park or the broads, an area of outstanding natural beauty (A.O.B.) or a world heritage site. In these areas, the total area of any building (more than 20 metres from the wall of your house) must not exceed 10 sqm.
Building Regulation Approval
- If a structure is over 30 sq m internally you will need building regulation approval.
The above information is supplied as a guide only, if you are in any doubt, do give us a call or visit the Government Planning Portal here: www.planningportal.gov.uk where you can apply for planning permission on-line. The illustrative guide below will quickly tell you if you need permission or not:
latest Mini-Guide to permitted development for outbuildings (England)
Fully insulated, contemporary, space saving take a look at our Linea Garden Rooms
How to care for your Iroko hardwood garden building
Read our top tips on the right products to use to treat, maintain & care for your Iroko hardwood garden…. Read more
What our customers say
“The building looks gorgeous. I cannot wait to use it! The team were excellent, efficient, polite and hard working.”
Mrs Barnett - LondonRead more of our testimonials
Need to keep your garden office 2.5m high? No problem! Garden Offices 2.5m high