How to "Hygge" your log cabin this winter!
With so many hours, days and months without sunlight, the Scandinavians have become experts at welcoming the chilly months of winter. They embrace the darkness and cosy up against the cold with what they call ‘Hygge’, pronounced ‘Hooge’. This basically means they get together with friends and family, draw the curtains, curl up under a blanket with a glass of something warm and fortified and retreat from the world.
At Garden Affairs we love the idea of Hygge, and encourage our customers to bring out the Scandinavian in them at this time of year by Hyggering (is that a word?!) their log cabins for winter.
It’s all too easy to forget the outdoors when the nights turn in and there’s a winter chill in the garden. But think what you’re missing out on if you stay cooped up in the house: the winter air is clean and crisp, the evenings still, the skies starlit.
Peaceful, romantic, winter nights
There’s something hugely peaceful and romantic about winter nights. And what better way to enjoy them than by using your log cabin as your outdoor winter social and relaxation space? Your garden building doesn’t have to be off limits just because it’s cold outside. If you’ve ever come off the slopes after a day’s skiing you’ll recognise that unbeatable feeling of walking into a warmly lit, timber-clad cabin with log burner glowing and gluhwein bubbling on the stove. That’s Hygge!
Garden Affairs log cabins have everything you need to make them a super cosy winter retreat. With solid timbers, in either 45mm, 58mm or 70mm thickness, they’re snug all year round, especially in winter, as timber is a great natural insulator. All our log cabins come as standard with heat-conserving double-glazed windows and insulation in the floor and roof for added warmth. Many of our garden buildings also have the roofing option of thermally-efficient green sedum roofs. And for that extra bit of Hygge, it’s easy enough to add in a wood burner or wood effect fire.
Here are a few tips to help you Hygge up your log cabin this winter, and bring a bit of Scandinavia to your back garden:
Invest in a sofa bed, or some blow-up mattresses & sleep under the stars in your cabin. For children, it’s an exciting experience to sleep outdoors, but with the safety of being in the back garden!
- Stock up on candles, fairy lights and lamps for mood lighting and intimacy.
- Style your space with warm, rich textiles: cushions, blankets, and long, thick curtains. It all adds to the cosiness and ambience.
Layer the floor of the cabin with rugs for added warmth, colour and texture.
Brew up your favourite hot drinks. (all our cabins are available with electrics)
- Don’t forget outdoor lighting. It’s easy enough to put in some LEDs to light the paving/decking area around your cabin, so you can sit out, perhaps on a deck or built in veranda and stargaze (with a glass of mulled wine).
- Go to a second-hand bookshop and browse for some old classics, then curl up and lose yourself in a good story.
- Set the cabin up for music. The easiest way is to connect a bluetooth speaker to your phone, then fish out some of your favourite Christmas DVDs
- Gather up all the blankets you can find, to keep you snug inside and out.
- Fire up the BBQ and fire pit, wrap up warm and enjoy an outdoor social gathering.
- Make sure you’ve got an extra torch or two for getting round in the dark.
Happy winter! And happy Hyggering (it’s definitely a word now)!
If you’d like to see one of our log cabins, styled in all its Hygge glory, pop into our display centre. For your very own log cabin give us a call on 01125 774566.
Fully insulated, contemporary, space saving take a look at our Linea Garden Rooms
What our customers say
“Just a quick note to say thank you, for a great product & service We were really pleased with everything from start to finish especially having our room delivered…”
Mr & Mrs Fowles - TrowbridgeRead more of our testimonials
Beat the planners with our log cabins!
Find out more here
See inside & outside at our garden building display centre click here for a: Virtual Tour